Brisbane, QLD


Thursday, December 8, 2011

SHARK BAY W.A.

We were getting close to our most northerly destination, Monkey Mia in the Shark Bay World Heritage Area.
There were many wildflowers but only one road house between Kalbarri and Monkey Mia and there were 3 tour buses all pulled in for lunch. We had a super driver who pulled up close to the door so we could hop out and get inside before the others made it from the car park. So we got served first and got a table. Full marks to APTour Co.
 The red arrow shows where the Dutch Captain Dirk Hartog made the first recorded landing on Australia back in 1616. He nailed a pewter plate to a post with a carved message. The plate was discovered by another dutchman Captain Vlamingh who took it back to Holland where it is today in the Rijkes Museum. Vlamingh left a plate of his own, which is in the Fremantle Maritime Museum. The yellow arrow is the town of Denham and the blue arrow is the town of Monkey Mia.

 Denham is a gorgeous, sleepy little fishing and holiday town and so untouched by development. However they have an ultra modern new Shark Bay Discovery and Visitors Centre, where we had a guided tour and learnt all about why Shark Bay is one of the most important World Heritage sites.

Shark Bay qualifies to be a world heritage centre in all four categories: Evolutionary History, Natural Beauty, Threatened Species and Geological and Biological processes. After our lesson and another look at the natural beauty of the bay we were on the bus again heading for Monkey Mia.

 On the way the bus turned off the main road and took us to Eagle Bluff Lookout, where we could see the amazing colours of the sea and.....

many sharks swimming close to the shore. You can see just two of them here. It is obvious why this place is called Shark Bay.

 Finally we arrived at our destination. We were not disappointed it is a beautiful place and this was the view from our cabin.

 It was evening and we were tired from the long day but we couldn't resist a walk along the beach.

 It was certainly a romantic spot as these two show, arm in arm gazing over the bay.

Then it was back to the restaurant with a fabulous view for dinner. I was looking forward to the morning when the wild dolphins would swim into the shore to interact with humans.

34 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful, the coastlines and the coloured see. You made a great tour. Silly Dutch to take the plate away and place your own in stead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to have seen these places like Australia and Hawaii and others as they were when all the explorers came upon them first. I think about what they saw quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful beaches and i love all that sand and the place where the couple are standing. don't care for sharks but i do love the water they live in

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG what a beautiful place! I'm sure enjoying your tour....maybe someday I'll have a chance to visit myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a peaceful and beautiful place!
    it makes me want to go there.

    i LOVE your photos!
    stunning as usual.

    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful bay and clear water, Diane. As usual I'm impressed with the cleanliness of your country. Thanks for taking us along! Have a great weekend. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would love to see this wonderful place. Your pictures are great and the narrative makes it seem as if we're right there on the bus or on the beach with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great places, Diane. Where did they come up with the name, Monkey Mia???? Sounds funny to me... BUT--what a gorgeous place!!!!

    Don't think I'd want to get too close to the water at Sharks Bay.... They really are close to the edge, aren't they?

    You did have a great tour bus driver, didn't you???? That is so helpful...

    Was the food good on this trip???? What's the biggest food attraction in that area--seafood???

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent review Diane, you are excelling yourself. I bet Dirk Hartog wondered what he had REALLY discovered - certainly vastly different topography to his native Holland!!!!
    I often have wondered if the pewter was left and preserved where it was nailed on the tree stump. Pity a replica hasn't been placed there for historical purposes.
    I presume the last few photos are of Monkey Mia???? Certainly looks peaceful for such a tourist place.
    Cheers
    Colin (HB)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't realize how absolutely beautiful this part of Australia actually is. I guess we hear more about eastern Australia than we do western Australia. The photo from Eagle Bluff fantastic. The color of the sea is unbelievable. Thanks for taking us along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some very beautiful scenery Diane!
    The color makes the water inviting but the sharks sure don't.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sea colors are so beautiful! I was surprised to see how close the sharks were to shore. I love the name "Momkey Mia"!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Diane
    My curiousity got the best of me with the name - Monkey Mia.
    So here for your readers is the link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_Mia

    I never looked at where the name, strange as it is, came from.
    I think the schooner "Monkey" and the aboriginal word "Mia" was the result.
    Colin (HB)

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are a variety of stories about the origin of the name "Monkey Mia". the version we were given by the tour guide was that a pearling boat called "Monkey" regularly moored in the bay which was called a "mia" by the aboriginal people thus becoming Monkey's mia which in turn became Monkey Mia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The last shot says it all. Lovely spot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm new here, Diane and chuffed to see all these wonderful photos of Shark Bay. My brother in law John is the pharmacist in Shark Bay and with his wife Charmaine runs the general store and news agency. I expect you might have met them during your stay in this wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The region is very beautiful and I learned something new ! Didn't know that a Dutchman landed in Australia already in 1616 ! Should once look at the plate when I am in Amsterdam ! I have already been in the Rijkes Museum.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know which photo I like best! The history of this region is fascinating - and makes me all the more determined to head there - SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good Morning, Diane! I would love to see this place. What a gorgeous bay and the beaches are beautiful. You had a great view from your cabin. It is interesting to learn all aobut the history of these place during your tour. Great post and I loved the photos. Have a great day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great place, Diane.
    Lovely photos. Lots of distance but certainly worth while when you get there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic place Diane, and how thoughtful of the bus driver to drop you so close to the door. Always love your tours. Great bit of arm-chair traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Diane
    What a great place. Must be nice and hot too. Spectacular scenary and the colour of the water is awesome.

    Ev

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like your tour of Shark Bay...the color of the sea is brilliant! Fishing, romance, dolphins made for a memorable trip

    ReplyDelete
  24. It really is gorgeous! And what a great place to come spend a vacation if you have kids who love science!! But those sharks... yikes. There must be a lot of food there to bring them into the bay in such numbers.
    (Are these the humongous Great Whites? Or a smaller variety that is not as dangerous to humans?)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Monkey Mia looks such a wonderful place and you were so fortunate to have a cabin right by the beach - I'm sure it was a real treat waking up to that view.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful place I especially love the eagle bluff and shark bay photo. Not inviting for a swim though. Interesting to read about some dutch history I hadn't heard of these captains before

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful place, I can see why it is so popular. Those beaches are just amazing. I can hardly wait for your photos of the dolphins.

    You must have gotten the best driver of all with such great service.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Diane! Happy to be here after my accident ;)

    All this looks so beautiful!! I'm definitely needing some holidays...

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Shark Bay looks so desolate. I'd have no desire to test those shark infested waters.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds like your tour is well organised, Diane. Your photos are WOW, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Now I think I could cope with this place. Back in the early 90s when my father 'grey-nomaded' Australia, he stayed here for 6 weeks. Way longer than anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The place is superb. I can't wait to have my own pictures there.
    Monkey mia tour

    ReplyDelete
  33. I went there for my honeymoon in 1995. Good memories!

    ReplyDelete